Changing the Quality of Motivation Over Time in Health and Fitness Settings
By Anna Wasserkampf, MSc.; Marlene N. Silva, PhD; and Pedro J. Teixeira, PhD2
People exercise for a wide variety of reasons that may fluctuate from exercise initiation to prolonged adoption depending on the behavioral context they are in. To understand exercise behavior, both the quantity and quality of motivation need to be taken into account. This article reviews how health and fitness instructors can better understand their clients’ motivation quality and how they can help their clients to reframe their externally-imposed reasons for exercise into reasons that are more personally and self-determined.
PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY!!!
EVERYTHING you need will be presented to you electronically upon completion of your purchase. This includes all articles, quizzes, and certificates (upon successful completion of the quizzes). For additional questions and for first time users, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions link on the home page.
*No substitutions will be allowed for this CEC course. Please be sure you check your 'completed courses' before purchasing this course to ensure you have not completed it previously. You can check your completed courses under the 'My Courses' tab above. ABSOLUTELY NO refunds, credits, course transfers will be given for previously purchased courses.
*This course has an individual expiration date listed below in the procedures section. There will be ABOSLUTELY NO refunds, credits, or course transfers for not completing courses prior to their expiration dates.
ATTENTION ACSM MEMBERS!!!
*You must enter the member discount code at the time of purchase during checkout to receive the member pricing. As of 7/1/2017, the member discount code has changed. The old member discount code will no longer be honored. To obtain your member discount code, members should log in to their ACSM Portal. Hover over MEMBERSHIP on the blue navigation bar, scroll down to MY RESOURCES from the dropdown menu, and click on “My ACSM Discounts” OR you can email the membership department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your member ID number. Refunds or credits will NOT be issued for not using the member discount code at the time of purchase.
Not a member??? Join ACSM and save over 50% on these CEC quizzes by contacting our membership department at email@example.com.
For questions related to ACSM ceOnline, please email onlinelearning-acsm.org
- Try to understand your clients’ motivation by asking why they exercise
○ Your clients should feel understood
- Listen carefully to your clients’ barriers while trying to establish an exercise routine and ask about exercise facilitators
○ Your clients should feel accepted rather than judged
- Help your clients establishmeaningful bridges between what they find important, what they value, and what they want to accomplish
○ Your clients should start to personally value and discover new meaning for exercising
- Provide optimal challenges
○ By offering exercises that are suitable for their competence, your clients will feel more confident in their own abilities and will seek progress
to new levels of competence
Key words: Self-determination Theory, Exercise Behavioral Regulations, Motivational Dynamics, Need-Supportive Climate
- Enroll in the course.
- View the course content.
- Take the test. (You must score 70% to pass. If you do not pass, you may retake the test.)
- Print your certificate of completion.
PLEASE NOTE, THIS COURSE EXPIRES ON OCTOBER 31, 2018.
**Please note that course fees are non-refundable. Discount codes must be used at the time of purchase.